Sunday, May 26, 2013

Oh god I'm done...

I've been working on Spiader Webs for five years. I've drawn 79 pages, five pieces of cover art (one of them four or five times), countless studies for future pages, drawn these first four characters hundreds of times...

And now, tonight, I've finished the cover for the first volume. All I have left is to throw some dogging around the moon on that problematic chapter cover.

Four chapters, 79 pages, five years, and a hell of a study in the growth of an artist. The story can stand alone, complete, if it needed to. I have hundreds of pages more sitting ready to transform from words into art.

I am exhausted. I never want to draw Vervain's goddamn vest ever again. I have spent the last two weeks living in the coffee shop, manic and fueled on caffeine and desperation.

But if I get hit by a bus and die tomorrow, I will have died having finished something.

The next few steps belong to my little sister, giving words to my art and correcting my epic failures to colour inside the lines.

I am taking a slight break for the summer now. Now I dive into my summer work, manically cover things in leather and build bags, and trust that by the time summer ends, I will be less exhausted and over it.

Shall we hope the next volume doesn't take five years more?



No comments:

Post a Comment